- Q. How can travel insurance cover my vacation investment in the event of a hurricane or other unforeseen severe weather?
A. In the event of a covered hurricane or other unforeseen severe weather, travel insurance provides coverage under the Trip Cancellation and Interruption benefit. If your trip is cancelled for a covered reason, we will refund the pre-paid, forfeited, non-refundable trip costs trip up to the limit of coverage.
- Q. If a hurricane watch or warning is issued that may impact my travel plans, up to what point can I still purchase travel insurance?
A. Insurance must be purchased 24 hours prior to when the hurricane has been named. Once the hurricane has been named, Trip Cancellation and Interruption losses resulting from the hurricane are excluded from the coverage of the policy.
- Q. If the resort that I will be staying at next week is damaged in a storm before my scheduled departure, can I cancel my trip and be reimbursed for my non-refundable costs?
A. If the resort is damaged and cannot accommodate you (or provide comparable accommodations), your nonrefundable costs will be reimbursed.
- Q. I'm worried that a predicted storm's path will be too near to the location of my upcoming insured vacation; can I cancel for a refund?
A. If the storm directly affects your travel arrangements or accommodations, you are entitled to Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption benefits. For example: an airport is closed due to the high winds; you are forced to evacuate your hotel/resort; the road you are traveling is impassable due to high water. On the other hand, if you choose to cancel a trip based on what you think might happen — and not because the inclement weather has directly affected your travel arrangements — that would be considered a matter of choice — not a direct loss to your arrangements.
- Q. If my airport is closed due to a hurricane or other weather event, and my vacation is delayed, will I be reimbursed?
A. Yes, travel insurance will cover the expenses incurred if your trip is delayed and will cover reasonable, additional accommodations and travel expenses until travel becomes possible.
Certain restrictions apply.